Friday, February 12, 2016

Corrupt policemen and negotiations

About a decade back, when a 'Vehicle Financier' was alleged to have committed an offence under 'SC/ST atrocities Act', I appeared on behalf of the Financier during police enquiry.  Brief facts of the case :-  (1)  A defaulter's vehicle was impounded by the financier; (2)  The borrower approached local goons who hired a 'Caste Lawyer' to lodge a complaint that the financier abused the borrower by his caste name!

The incident alleged to have happened at the financier's office.  There was no witness to the incident. For a mere financial transaction case, a false case under SC/ST atrocity act was slapped to threaten and budge the financier.

When negotiation (paying the due amount with reduced interest!! & returning of vehicle (in such an unusable condition!!!) finalised and case compromised, the police SI (new into the service) started demanding 'fees' for his services from the Financier!  The financier reluctantly paid him Rs. 500/-.  Feeling low, the SI called me and said that 'see sir, 3 days I handled this case and he paid only Rs. 500/-'.   I told him to see the plight of the complainant.  He paid Rs. 45,000/- to get his vehicle back.  Further, he hired a local caste-lawyer by paying Rs. 5000/- + expenses for his stay at a lodge (a group stayed in a lodge (just 25 Kms from his office to the police station) for 3 days.  Comparing the miseries he faced, his plight is none.

Further, I informed him that during those 3 days, I skipped my lunch for 2 days.  (Third day, I insisted that I cannot wait for the complainant's lawyer to come after his siesta and went to have my lunch!)


No comments:

Post a Comment